Thursday, October 13, 2005

A Summer in Gallifa, Spain, with Goya

“The Duchess of Alba,” is a painting done by Francisc Goya. Goya and the Duchess were reputed to have had a love affair while he was court painter for her husband the Duke. I spent the entire summer working on my own visual interpretations of the painting and the story from the point of view of an abstractionist. During the course of my attempts I floated in and out of figurative and abstract approaches. The painting “La Duquesa de Gallifa,” that I've posted here was the first interpretation. What follows,posted below, “Momento de la Duquesa,” is a photoshop variation and combination of Goya’s painting of a tree just outside my studio in Gallifa. It is the image that came to mind when I read Richard Cohens’s “One Tree.” It is being reproduced at life-size scale. I thought I would share it with you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Clews said...

I particularly like the 'screen' - the lady changing, perhaps, which becomes, simply, light shining. A presence. Goya. All of art. All women. The light shining with her presence, the presence of her changing, perhaps, readying herself for the artist's gaze, and by extension, our gaze. That you go from natural found object, a growing, gnarled tree, beside which a rose lies, a layer overlaid in photoshop, to the abstract beams which seem to become spaces that are veiled, screens, behind which She is changing, but beams of light in themselves ultimately, coded with information of a divine nature...

Layers. Hope that wasn't too run-on -:)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Lhombre said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Lhombre said...

Thanks Brenda. You bring wonderful a insight to the image.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.