Sunday, November 06, 2005

New Title Bar

I’ve posted a new quote in my title bar this morning.

In the last few years I have been obsessed, but in a healthy way, with my muse. My muse personifies for me the grandest of all metaphors regarding creativity, life, love, and in an especially mysterious way, the sublime. I often refer to her as Luz, the Spanish for “Light.” In my reach for an appropriate rendering that encapsulates what I feel toward her I have struggled with the visual arts, music, and poetry. During those experiences I have occasionally touched briefly on what is often fleeting variants of this strange and wondrous place. It is a place that has taken me deep into an interior of self.

There is often a feeling of dance and rhythm, a movement though time, space, and color that this place engenders. There are too numerous attempts on my part to isolate any one of them as best capturing my quest. But sometimes someone will come along and shout the obvious as it pertains to one’s personal journey and often at very unsuspecting moments. This morning was one of those moments.

As I was perusing the New York Times Book Review I came across an interesting review of a novel by Sarah Hall entitled, “The Electric Michelangelo.” What caught my immediate attention was a quote taken from her novel near the end of the review. It caught my eye prior to my reading the article from the beginning. Like so many experiences of coincidence (I tend to call it Karma) that have been associated with “Luz,” it jumped off the page! It is a rendering in words that comes very close to what I have often felt but have not quite been able to clarify as clearly through my work: "...light that had neither the impatience of fire, nor the snap of electricity, nor the fluttering sway of a candle. It was light that was nature's grace, unhurried, the slowest, seeping effulgence."

I am now in the process of reading “The Electric Michelangelo,” after the fact, of course!

There is a major problem with all that I have attempted to say here and over the years: I should be living it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Clews said...

The quote is beautiful, and so is your writing about your muse...

8:18 AM  
Blogger Lhombre said...

Hey thanks Brenda. I'm about to post where it is taking me.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

It seems to me that you're living it.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Lhombre said...

Well...if I am it's a fantasy life. I have always lived my fantasies. And in many ways that's why I don't seperate them from "reality." But this is one fantasy that doesn't feel like I'm living it. Something's awry. And...I know what it is. I think I may be putting my trust in something that may need some help...soon! I'll see.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.