Monday, November 07, 2005

The silent muse?

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, referring to a quote in the New York Times Book Review that “jumped out at me,” life’s moments can sometimes provide a needed and unexpected epiphany. I believe I associated it with“Karma.”

As I’ve indicated over the last few weeks since my return from Spain, I’m struggling a bit creatively and personally. The quote that I mentioned, however, has led me to reading Sarah Hall’s novel, “The Electric Michelangelo,” and lo and behold I come to find out that the quote in the novel refers to the “Blood of the sky”… “the northern bloodlights,” the Aurora Borealis! A most magnificent display of the sublime in nature’s light!

Sarah Hall, the author, whose writing is extremely imagistic, colors it with reds, greens, and white light, which immediately caused me to reflect on the series of red and white Luz paintings I just completed in Spain. Coincidence, Karma, I really don’t know. But on a very spiritual interior level it all comes together for me. I believe that timing is everything and this couldn’t have come at a better time for me. I have no idea where it will lead but it provides the one ingredient that keeps me going from day to day…hope.

There is an aside(?) to all this. The novel is centered around the art of tattooing, something that I was very much involved in in the past. In fact I have a tattoo, which I acquired at the age of fourteen that I have written a poem about. I hope to add that to my post soon.

As I have also indicated in previous posts my muse has been very quiet. But now I have to wonder! Has she?

I’m reposting an earlier poem, actually the very first poem that directed me toward many others dealing with my muse:


LA DUQUESA de la LUZ


I looked…up

( Light )

and

she was…


there.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Clews said...

She was always there...

I love this exploration of your muse, in writing, in poetry, in art.

How profoundly beautiful.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Lhombre said...

Yes! She is!

Thanks Brenda.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That karma-thing, or synchronicity or serendipity or whatever, certainly works. I've found that the more deeply involved I get into a work or an idea, the more these "coincidences" happen. I'll chance upon a sentence heard on the radio, or in a newspaper, or from someone I meet by chance, which will exactly refer to what I've been working on. Or the answer to a question will suddenly be there. It seems that the very process of focusing intently, like shining a searchlight in the dark, brings up all sorts of links that were nearby but formerly invisible. Luz indeed.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Lhombre said...

Yes Natalie I agree. In my particular case my "Karma," "Coincidences," actually centered around an individual. It took years to recognize the significance in it. It has played itself out in ways that I cannot begin to describe. I don't think anyone would believe me if I tried explain it. I simply accept it. Unfortunately, I never moved on it and it has brought about regrets that I am still trying to resolve. Luckily at this point in time I have some creative outlets. But as I said near the close of my post, I should be living it. Instead... well... let me count the ways!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Brenda Clews said...

Oh, do tell as much of the story of Lux as feels safe to, feels okay to, we're a pretty mellow, loving group of readers... it sounds so fascinating (now that you've piqued our interest -:)

12:17 PM  
Blogger Lhombre said...

Yes, you are all a very nice group of readers and it is always nice to share some things with you. As to what might be gleaned in my post, however, that was enough said. The experience is too special for me to take it any further than I have already. Especially out of love and respect for my muse. And I know you can appreciate that.

On the other hand, I have run into some more Karma regarding the "Electric Michelangelo" experience and I am putting some thoughts together on it as we speak. Hope to post it soon. Has to do with "running into" an "illustrated man" in the steam room today who runs a tattoo parlor named...yep...The Blue Luz!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Lhombre said...

Natalie: One more comment as to the karma-thing. You mention how it seems the more deeply you get involved, etc.........

Although I agree with your observations, my experience regarding my muse came about and continues to come about without my getting deeply involved. It's trying to tell me something! That's why I mentioned in "The silent muse" that perhaps she's not being so silent after all. This is beyond what I can comrehend and rationalize. I just wish........

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.